A few months ago, I was stuck.
I weighed 66.6 kg, my waist measured 30 inches, and despite feeling like I was trying to eat "healthy", the scale wasn't moving. I would often feel hungry shortly after eating and found myself reaching for snacks, pastries, cookies, and other convenience foods throughout the day.
At first, I thought my problem was carbohydrates. I blamed ugali, sweet potatoes, fruit, and rice. What I discovered was surprising.
The real issue wasn't carbohydrates themselves. It was that many of the foods I was eating weren't keeping me full.
In August, I decided to focus on one thing: eating more protein.
I started tracking my meals and gradually increased foods such as chicken, fish, eggs, beans, liver, Greek yoghurt, and protein shakes. Instead of trying to eat less, I focused on eating foods that would satisfy me for longer.
The change was almost immediate.
For the first time, I found myself saying:
"I'm full."
That sounds simple, but it was a huge shift. Instead of constantly thinking about my next snack, I felt satisfied after meals. I stopped forcing myself to finish every carbohydrate on my plate. If I was full, I stopped eating.
One of the biggest surprises was how much I enjoyed the food. I discovered a love for fish, roasted chicken, liver, eggs, and protein yoghurt bowls with strawberries. These weren't "diet foods." They were delicious, affordable meals that kept me satisfied.
As I tracked my food, I also learned something important about snacks. A single cookie could contain as many carbohydrates as a serving of rice or sweet potato, but leave me far less satisfied. That awareness helped me make better choices without feeling deprived.
I still enjoyed treats. I had cookies, popcorn, doughnuts, ice cream, and occasional drinks. The difference was that they became occasional treats instead of everyday habits.
Most importantly, I learned that progress doesn't require perfection.
After 2 weeks of focusing on protein and listening to my hunger signals, my results were:
- Weight: 66.6 kg → 64.2 kg
- Weight loss: 2.4 kg
- Waist: 30 inches → 28 inches
- Lower pouch: 35 inches → 34 inches
But the numbers tell only part of the story.
The biggest success was changing how I feel about food. I no longer feel trapped in an endless cycle of hunger and cravings. I genuinely enjoy my meals and feel confident that the way I am eating is sustainable.
Today, my focus is no longer on dieting. It is on building habits that support my health, my body goals, and my long-term wellbeing.
If there is one lesson I would share from this journey, it is this:
Don't just ask how many calories are in your food. Ask whether that food will keep you full and satisfied.
For me, increasing protein was the game changer.
And the best part is that I am still enjoying every meal.
- Goal weight: 58.5-59 kg by marathon day on October 25thππΎ♀️ππ
Comments
Post a Comment